I’m Back

I spent a couple of days in the hospital last week and I‘ve slept a lot since then. Thank God the bacterial infection did not go into my lungs. Now that I’m back, is it too late to tell you how happy I am about the election?

My team won and I am happy because I felt strongly about the personal freedom issues. But it turns out, I am not good at games. If my team wins, the other team loses and I love so many people who are on the other team.

Generally, my friends and I agreed on personal liberty stuff but differed on economic ideas. So, one week after the election, I am recovering and asking, “Can’t we all just get along?”

I believe this nation is rich because of its diversity and ability to have civil discourse. Like most Americans, I am ready to stop fighting and rebuild a cooperative government.

The good news is that the election is over. I am ready to move on and I believe resisting change is silly. Whether we want it or not, life will most certainly change. Our job is to make sure life flows in the direction of love and justice for all. We may do that in a peculiar zigzag path but we are moving ahead.

Dr. Raymond Charles Barker said that a consciousness once stretched never returns to its original shape and I think that is equally true on a personal and national level. When the edges are pushed out, they never can return to the “good old days”. Nostalgia tends to breed discomfort and disease, not solutions.

Living longer creates a sense of trust in the evolutionary process. This has been true for me personally and I believe it is also politically true. Wasn’t it fun to see the diversity in our newly elected officials?

I remember when white males absolutely ruled our political and corporate organizations. You youngsters may have enjoyed watching Mad Men, I just found it distressing de ja vu all over again.

Yes, there was a time when voter suppression was a given, not a failed scheme. There was a time when there were no women on the Supreme Court and the women who ran for president were considered eccentrics at best and probably nut cases.

In those ancient times, when I told my shrink I was working on Rep. Shirley Chisholm’s presidential campaign, I think he wanted to lock me up.

There was even a time when the South was totally Democratic and all African Americans (then called Negroes) who were allowed to vote, voted for the party of Lincoln. Our first Afro-American Senator, Edward Brooks, was a Republican from Massachusetts.

There was also a time when a politician’s personal life was off limits. Clinton’s life was a public soap opera but Kennedy was a real dog with the ladies and no one even mentioned it.

Those were not the good old days and I do not want to return to them. I was pleased that so many women were elected this year because I think women change things in basic ways. They learn at their mother’s knee that protecting the young is their most important duty.

It may not make me a good feminist to say this but I think women are less theoretical than men. They know that passing a law based on an abstract idea will have a direct and concrete effect on the lives of families. Men also know this, but women know it at a more cellular level. This election defined women as a spectacular voting block.

As a New Thought person, I believe that all change begins in the consciousness of the individual. When I look back at the political leaders I admire most in my life, I see many giants. Eleanor Roosevelt, Bayard Rustin, Martin Luther King, Gloria Steinham, Shirley Chisholm, and John F. Kennedy are a few of the political leaders I admire.

I also admire some fascinating and inspirational spiritual leaders. They include; Ernest Holmes, RC Barker, Frank Richelieu, Valerie Seyffert, Kennedy Shultz, David Walker, Louise Hay, Sue Rubin, Nancy Anderson, Barbara Lunde, Earlene Castellaw, Arlene Bump, Carolyn McKeown , Sandy Jacobs, Maxine Kaye, Carol Carnes, and Marilyn Hall Day. These are people who were here before me and I know that I stand on their shoulders.

Perhaps the greatest leaders of all have been my students and friends who followed me into the ministry. They taught me to question and to stretch my understanding of how God works in our life.

I cannot name them all here but my dear friend and prayer partner, Jeanette Keil, has been a daily inspiration for many years. I also love my young friends, Jeff Proctor and Judy Beiter, who left the planet a lot sooner than I expected. I miss them both.

There are too many other friends to mention by name but they are all a part of my beloved spiritual family. Some of them, like Eleanor Roosevelt, opened my mind to God’s Infinite Possibilty. Though she was a remote person, she was a powerful influence for me.

Every one of my wonderful collection of influences opened me up to the power of God in my life. They were all unique and individualized expressions of God. I felt connected to them. Whether I could articulate it or not, when I watched, listened and learned from them, I felt God in action.

I am not an abstract person. I see God in the love of mother and child, in the bloom of the rose and the rise of the sun. When I am feeling the connection of oneness  and love with people, I feel the presence of God.

People are connections. They surround and love us. We cooperate in ways we don’t often notice but we have come a long way since the days of the cave people. We cooperate in amazing ways with spectacular results all the time. Our government, when it is working correctly, is God in action.

Elections matter. Whether it is a vote for the rights of same-sex marriage or a bond issue to support the schools, our decisions matter. Today, I recognize the loving connection to each other in the government and in God. God is One and we are connected to each other.

God is Infinite Opportunity, Infinite Power and Infinite/Unlimited Love. God is the Creative Energy of the Universe working in our lives. Full time. 24/7.

I am grateful to be a citizen of the United States. I am grateful for the good government we have. I am grateful for all the historic mentors who lead us into the light. I am grateful to be connected to life and to each of my individual readers. I am grateful to be to be home and recovering. All in all, it is fair to say, I am celebrating life. How about you?

Who were my early mentors?

What historical figures do I most admire?

What did I learn from these early mentors?

Who am I connected to now?

When do I feel connected to God?

19 Comments on “I’m Back”

1. Christine says:

I am so glad that you are back home and healthy! I also agree with you on politics! Can’t we all just get along?! 🙂

2. Lynn Guilfoyle says:

So glad that you are back ~ you were missed! I agree with your early statement about game playing. It is hard to know that, in order to win, someone else must lose. And with every election season, it becomes more and more obvious what a game politics has become. I will continue to pray for all of us to get along. “What a wonderful world that would be”!

3. Susan says:

I’m so glad to see that you are back and am glad to read another one of your blogs! As always thanks for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to seeing everyone at Thanksgiving.

Hi Susan, Are you there yet? It is always good to hear from you and I look forward to seeing you again soon. Have fun and I am certain you made ther ight decision but remember not to believe that old nonsense about making your bed and having to lie in it. You are always at choice!

4. Jennifer says:

Hi Dr.Jane. So glad you’re back and glad you’re blogging again. I had a hard time deciding who to vote for – pros and cons for both sides and really didn’t want to vote for either one of the Prez candidates. But now its decided and we must all get behind the victorious party and candidates. I sent you an email to see if you’d be up for getting together. let me know if you didn’t receive it. Love you much.

5. Jane, Thanks for your blog today…and for being one of my mentors for many years now. I’m blessed to have you in my life!
    Terry

6. Doris Palardy says:

So happy you are feeling better. I missed you and your amazing blogs

7. Jane Pool says:

This is one of your most beautiful essays. It reminds me not to gloat over the Pres. Obama landslide happy as I am about it. Be sure to include this Blog in that book of your collected writings.

8. Geofrey Layng says:

Dr. Jane; You have a lovely way with words and phrases. You are the feminine Buddha of Truth. Your philosophy of life applies to all creatures past, future and present. Time and space is the illusion of mortal mind. Your absolute life is infinite Love, Geoff

9. Sally Carroll says:

Dearest Dr. Jane,
    I am grateful that your health problem is resolving- I lift you up in thought and prayer. Love, Sally

10. Mary Beth Speer says:

Beloved Jane,

Welcome BACK!

Thank you for sharing your vivid thoughts. I, too, was so grateful for the election outcome. I groove on Cultural Creatives in the White House.!

Love & hugs from the Heartland,

Mary Beth

And, by the way, YOU are one of my early – and ongoing – mentors. I am so grateful for you.

_____

11. sundownm says:

I Demonstrate Beautifully

God creates all things. I believe in myself as one created by God to create all good things in my life, according to my desire. I affirm myself as empowered by God to demonstrate fullness of health, greatness of wealth and joyousness of love every day. I believe that all of God supports all of me all of the time, as I am focused on thinking and living this way.

I use my faith to get somewhere. I believe only in that which empowers my creative excellence, and I pursue it faithfully. I let it guide me as I deal with my daily affairs, encounters and challenges.

I approach life fearlessly in this spirit, celebrating my right understanding of God at work in me, as me and through me. I release these words to the Law of Mind, knowing that the Law of Mind finds every way necessary to let it be so, for so it is.

Dr. Kennedy Shultz

Next Treatment

Return to Treatment Page

12. Brenda Rodgers says:

Hi Dr. Jane, this is Brenda from New Jersey. I met you at CSL Carlsbad when I was visiting with Rev. Matti’s sister. You gifted me that wonderful book, Wise women don’t worry….I think of you often, and always hold positive thoughts and prayers for you. At this time of Thanksgiving, I just want you to know that I am very grateful for having had the opportunity to meet and talk with you. I think you are a wonderful wise woman, and I am happy to consider you a part of my life. I am also happy and grateful to have found your blog, and I hope to see you again next summer. Grace & Peace

Hi Brenda,
      How wonderful to hear from you. I felt an instant connection when we met and of course, I would expect any friend of Mattie’s to be on our same wave length. I look forward to seeing you next summer. I am also happy to hear you are a blog reader. If you have friends you think might enjoy the blog as well, I’d appreciate it if you sent one of them out onto the cyberspacce airwaves. Have a great holiday season and new year. Love, Jane