Dreams Can Come True

On Monday, a friend called and said, “ Your book, Dreams Can Come True, was on the Today show.”  There were several messages from other friends who saw the show. I am always amazed at the powerful reach of TV.

Later that day, my daughter sent me a clip of the show and I watched it. If I can figure out how to do it, I will put a link out later this week.

The reason the book was on TV is that the Today Show has a new host – Savannah Guthrie – and they were introducing her to the audience. Apparently Dreams Can Come True was her favorite book as a young teen.

The other host, Matt Lauer, read from the back cover and tried to tease her about the plot which is all about wanting to be a cheerleader and catching the most popular football hero as a boyfriend.  I was happy when she defended the book, saying, “It was a good book.”

I was also bit dismayed at how much trouble they went to make their new host look like a silly girl. After all, the woman is an accomplished journalist and she’s read lots of other books since she was in 7th grade.

It threw me back to those days (1982) when I was a member of the National Organization of Women (NOW) and we were trying to pass the ERA Amendment. NOW kept calling me and I kept sending them money. My contributions came from the money I was making writing teenage romances.

The book is out of print now and it was fun to see the cover on a national TV show. We all enjoy our 15 seconds of fame. I hope it was helpful to Ms. Guthrie and the thousands of other young women who read it back then. I’ve always been proud of my career as a writer for teenagers, even though I moved on to spiritual writing.

In those days, I was happy to be making good money at a craft I’d struggled with for years. I was able to write books girls loved because I had been a teacher and I knew teenagers. It never seemed inappropriate to me to write about  a young  girl’s search for popularity and young love. They always learned some life-lessons along the way. Lessons in self-reliance and integrity, as well as how to get what you want.

I’m not sure I’d be able to write most of the stuff that I see pushed on TV now. That is because I have changed and times have changed. I am older, more deeply involved in my spiritual teaching, and I haven’t been in a classroom for more than 35 years. As I said, times have also changed. But…

Times haven’t changed – up until now – as much as I wanted. While there are some gains in women’s lives, we never did get the Equal Rights Amendment passed. Women still make 77 cents on the dollar that men make in the same jobs. While there are more women in visible TV spots, they are nearly all beautiful. There are still not many women (beautiful or not) politicians at the state or national level.

What’s more, it seems as if the gains we made over the years are being pushed back as fast as politicians

(who say they are all about jobs but spend their time pushing against equal rights) can push.

I am concerned that our political future may be deeply impacted by unlimited and undisclosed contributions from a few “fat cats”.  It was not the future I expected back in the 70’s and 80’s when the lives of women and other “minority” groups seemed on track to get so much better.

If you had told any of us who were working for the passage of the ERA amendment that the rights and support of women and children would be in grave danger now, we wouldn’t have believed it. Access to abortion, birth control, child health care, and nutrition programs is absolutely important to the health of this nation.

I don’t care how much people long for the good old days that never existed. Nostalgia for simpler times is a poison pellet this country must not swallow. Believe me, there was never a time when all girls wanted was to be popular cheerleaders. Those teenage romances were about as realistic as the Cosby show.

I love to watch old movies and am almost addicted to screwball comedies of the Thirties but I don’t believe that people lived like that in real life. They were simply entertainments. We should never confuse entertainment with fact. Plus, time can never run backwards.

That said, I am very happy to have Dreams Can Come True acknowledged as, “a good book” by a successful and visible child of the 80’s. It is always amazing and wonderful how wide those pebbles we toss into the lake can go.  I wish her well in her new spot.

As for my own current career. I will be speaking on Rev. Beverly Molander’s radio show next Monday at 1 pm. You can access the show by going to http://www.unity.fm/program/AffirmativePrayer. That invitation came because of the book’s brief appearance on the Today show.

I am finishing up my Emerson class this Thursday and it has been wonderful to revisit that fabulous thinker and his friends.  This has been an exceptionally bright group of students and they especially enjoyed watching my lectures that I made 20 years ago. I especially enjoyed being reminded of that  110 pound weight loss.

My meditation coloring book is done and I will be writing about it soon.

I will be speaking in church on Sunday, July 29th, and I think my talk will be about Summer Reading. Any suggestions?

Please Share

What was your favorite book as a kid?

What is your favorite New Thought book?

13 Comments on “Dreams Can Come True”

1. Jane how interesting I think you should email Ms Guthrie and congradulate her and tell her one of your other readers/ students thinks Matt Lauuer is a pompous you know what. It goes to show you how far people still have to go to be equal. enjoyed the blog…Robert

2. I have always been partial to Savannah because she was a resident and student that grew up in Tucson, AZ Savannah Clark Guthrie, named for her great-grandmother, was born in Melbourne, Australia, in 1971, but moved to Tucson, Arizona two years later. She graduated from Amphitheater High School in Tucson, Guthrie received her undergraduate degree in journalism from the University of Arizona, graduating Cum laude in 1993. She was a member of the Arizona Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Ph. And later received her Law Degree from Georgetown University (J.D.)
    “Dreams can come True”

Thanks for the update Marvis. Do you know her personally? I thought you might have met since you do know so much about her. Other than that, it is always good to hear from you and let’s talk soon.

3. Libby O'Day says:

Jane, Thanks for sharing some of your concerns and views about the way the changes we are in as a culture are going. And thanks for asking what our favorite childhood book was, and what our favorite New Thought book now is.
    I had difficulty answering both questions, and decided to go with my favorite book when I was 14 (in keeping with the young teen book) “The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien. I just read it again last year, and it is still brilliant and inspiring. My favorite New Thought book is always the one I am reading at the moment, and yet “This Thing Called You” by Ernest Holmes remains a ‘go-to’ book for me.I go to it when I need a quick reminder of the truth.
    Blessings to you Jane, and I know that your amazing journey is continuing and proving an inspiration to many!

Yes, I loved Lord of the Rings as well but by the time it came out, I was an adult. When I read it, I was teaching a group of “underachieving geniuses” in a high school creative thinking class and each student got to select a book for the whole group to read. Of all of the book choices, that was the hands-down favorite with the kids. Thanks for your comments.

4. Jane Pool says:

Wow! Congratulations! A million dollars worth of publicity and your book is out of print. I bet there will be lots of requests for it. Maybe the publisher will re-issue it.

Hi Jane,
      Yes it was fun to get all that notice but there’s not a chance the book will be reissued. It was published in 1982 and now the books are all about vampires and hunger games – not quite the same inspirational attitudes. But the joy of writing continues to surprise me and it was really fun to see that cute little cheerleader on national tv.

5. Ellen Sheive says:

Wow, what a memory to bring up! And, I do know the answer without even spending time thinking on it. My favorite novels as a child were the “Bobbsey Twins” books. I couldn’t devour them fast enough. AND – I actually do know why from the vantage point of my ‘maturity’.

I had one sister, 3 1/2 years younger than me. It turned out that she was (and still is) mentally ill in a socially scary way. I tried so hard as a “big sister” to have a real relationship with her — but it just couldn’t happen. So, actually, I invented my wonderful sibling relationship – complete with a lot of intellectual stimulation (which I have also always wanted and needed) vicariously with those twins. I can remember just wishing so much that I had been born a twin so that I could have that – what seemed so – wonderful close and fun and interesting and loving relationship.

And – you know – even though I have learned that to be like that is not the real normal. And – even though my own three children carved out a very fine system of relationships – I still learned that nothing was ever as perfect as my fantasy “Bobbsey Twins” life.

To this day, reading is a “must do” for me. I ALWAYS have a book underway. As a matter of fact, I think I may have a book or so inside myself — but I am so busy reading and enjoying other writers’ books that I, so far, have not found time to write down my own. But that is O.K., I think! Writers need readers — don’t they?! I am sooo happy to be the reader!!

Those Bobbsey Twins, helped me stayed tuned in to my loving, family-oriented, sibling connection self — until I finally birthed my own family and made that dream come true!!!!

I cannot choose a favorite “spiritual book”. Every single one my spirit directs me to is important and wonderful and makes my life grander, happier and wiser.

HI Ellen,
      I’m with you. I can’t imagine not having a book or two that I’m reading. While I never got around to the Bobbsey Twins, I did write one of the Boxcar Children books that came out long after the originator went on to the other side. That was fun. And thanks for your generous thoughts and comments Ellen.

6. Rachel Lampert says:

Bravo Dr. Jane. I loved this blog and I look forward to listening to your radio interview.
    I love you and applaud all you do and are doing,
    Love
    Rachel

7. Amy Aspell says:

I remember reading a book as a young teen, the name of which I can’t remember, but it advised allowing everyone 3 mistakes or shortcomings. I really thought about that a lot and discovered that “misdeeds” were often a variety of happenings that fell into one or two shortcoming categories. It made for a lot of allowances. On the whole that made life a bit easier, allowing everyone some slack. On the other hand it extended the amount of time I put up with an ongoing series of misdeeds. Even so, it seemed like overall wise advice from a book for young people. I’m probably too old for this book to have been one of Yours Jane, but I’ll bet yours are filled with wisdom! I bought one of your “Dreams Can Come True” on Amazon for my granddaughters!

Amy